[Akron, Ohio?]: 1835. Folio sheet, folded to 8" x 10". , [3 blanks] pp. Printed on the recto of the first leaf. Light wear, short closed tear at outer margin [no loss]. Very Good.
This rare plea for the establishment of a Bank at Akron is signed in type by James W. Philips, Richard Howe, and seven other members of the Committee at Akron, December 18, 1835. It indicates the accelerating development of commerce across the Alleghenies. Explaining "the facts on which our application for a Bank is based," they note that the Pennsylvania & Ohio Canal will have its terminus at Akron; and provide a detailed mercantile and financial profile of Akron and the neighboring town of Middlebury, two miles distant, listing exports from flour, wheat, oats, cheese and butter, plus other exports by canal. Current "population of the village is between 12 and 1300."
"The Bank of Akron was not established until 1845" [Morgan].
Morgan 8175 [2- AAS, Kent State]. OCLC 191249523 [1- AAS] [as of July 2015]. Not in American Imprints or Thomson. Item #27262