[Wisconsin? @1878-1880]. Broadsheet, 5 1/2" x 15 1/2". Docketed on verso in type, "Petition of N.H. Wood, of, Wisconsin." Very narrow area of blank margin singeing; a split in an old fold has been expertly repaired on the verso, without loss. Otherwise, Very Good.
Wood's former broadside, to which this one refers, is recorded at OCLC 62781086 [1 copy at Columbia]. This one is not. Wood was a stalwart advocate of the Gold Standard, and inveighed tirelessly against "the deluded clamor for silver currency." The Silver Commission has failed in its duty as "a watchful guardian of the best interests of the country."
The official web site of the Town of Pacific, Wisconsin, says: "The Town came into being in 1854 when it was sectioned off from the City of Portage. A large portion of the Town, at that time, was owned by N. H. Wood. Mr. Wood constructed a plank road from the east side of Portage to the high ground on the west and he charged a toll for those who crossed the low marshland in this manner. The Old Plank Road was made of heavy oak planks laid in corduroy fashion along the Wisconsin River and connected with the Military Road to the east and west. The Military Road connected Fort Crawford at Prairie Du Chein, Fort Winnebago in Portage and Fort Howard at Green Bay. The building housing the North Star Tavern at the intersection of US Highway 51 and North Star Road is an historic structure as it was the Old Coach Inn on the Military Road. Mr. Wood became the first Chairman of the Town in an election in which 50 votes were cast."
Not located on OCLC, or at the online site of University of Wisconsin Libraries, as of May 2014. Item #31154