[Reading, PA?]: @1820?]. Broadside, 6" x 8.75", printed in two columns using different sizes of typesettings. Completely in German, three hymns, words only with no music. Lightly foxed. Good+.
This rare broadside contains words to three hymns: "Kommen zu Jesu" [five stanzas with a varying chorus]; "Auf Zions Berg" [three stanzas with a chorus to be repeated]; "Das Schiff der Gnade" [four stanzas with a chorus to be repeated].
Berger Kirche was St. Joseph's Church in Pike Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania. It was established in the 1740s. St. Joseph's was used by German Lutheran and German Reformed congregations; it was better known as Hill Church, or Berger Kirch [Berger coming from 'berg', the German word for 'hill']. The church was located in the eastern part of Pike Township on fifty acres of land claimed by Casper Grygler, George Ernest and Andrew Rodenheffer around 1740 for the purpose of building a school and church. [Croll, Rev. P.C.: THE PENNSYLVANIA-GERMAN, VOLUMES 3-4, 1902, pp.126-127.]
Not located on OCLC or AAS online site as of October 2015, or in AI, Sabin, or anywhere else, despite a diligent search. Item #32493