[New Haven, CT: 1913, 1914]. 1913: 2-3/4" 3-5/8". Original blue dyed suede cover, blindstamped with Hebrew text "Achevah" and "1913", textured tissue endpapers, printed interior card, tied at spine with blue tasseled cord, small pencil attached to cord. Printed interior card has  pages: title page, two pages with printed list of twelve dances [name of the song for each, a line to enter the name of the dance partner], and a final blank page. Two names penciled in at head of title page and several names penciled inside: Ethel Cugell, Ms. Ritch, C. Bassevitch, Miss Nochaufsky, Miss Partman, Rose Hoffman, Miss Galinsky, and others. Very Good to Near Fine.
1914: 2-1/2" x 4". Original white soft leather cover stamped in blue ink with Hebrew text "Achevah" and "1914", printed interior card, tied at spine with blue tasseled cord, small pencil attached to cord. Printed interior card has  pages: title page, two pages listing 18 dances [name of the song for each, a line to enter the dance partner's name; and a final blank page. Several names penciled in: Mae Kugel, Miss Rubin, S. Hoffman, and others. Minor wear and soil. Very Good.
The Achevah Club was organized by several of the few Jewish students at Yale in 1908. The name "Achevah" means friendship or love in Hebrew. This club consisted primarily of Jewish students from Yale, plus a few local friends. The group held picnics and parties. An early member and host of meetings was Israel Koskoff, proprietor of a produce store, and member of the New Haven Koskoff family, many of whom became musicians, lawyers and judges. At a meeting at the Koskoff residence, the club gathered to hear the piano playing of Israel's son, Reuven Koskoff, a 12 year old prodigy and student at the Yale School of Music. The original group of young men continued meeting at the Koskoff home each Sunday night for dinner and entertainment for several years. Later they would meet at the Old Heidelberg Restaurant and then at rooms they rented in a building housing the Hebrew Institute. The last known recorded gathering was a reunion held on November 16, 1962, at the Hotel Taft, New Haven, with 35 members and their wives in attendance. [Heil, Estelle Goldman: "Achevah-- The First Jewish Club at Yale", JEWS IN NEW HAVEN,VOL. IV, Jewish Historical Society of New Haven, CT, pp. 53-61].
Many early members of Achevah became prominent New Haven men: Samuel Campner, the first Jewish mayor of New Haven; Dr. Louis Nahum, president of the Connecticut State Medical Society; Abel [Abe] Cugell, director of the Rosenbaum Tutoring School at Yale; Samuel Alpert, Barnett Berman, Hyman A. Bettigole, Dr. Louis Blumberg, Harry Caplowitz, Julius Cohen, Charles Cohen, Benjamin F. Goldman, Dr. George Goldman, Barnett Hoffman, Robert E. Hyman, Dr. Daniel Levy, Joseph Sachs, Louis Sachs, Ephraim Shorr, Harry Silverstone, etc. Item #35338