[Philadelphia]: November 21, 1849. Folio, large sheet folded to 14" x 22".  pp. Partly printed document completed in neat, elegant manuscript. Printed on blue paper using decorative and standard typesettings. First page engraved with a beautiful illustration of the Fairmount Waterworks as seen from the west bank of the Schuylkill River; depicting the engine house, millhouse, mound dam, and men fishing from shore. Attributed to "T. Birch del./ R.Tiller Sc.". Beneath the illustration is the policy of insurance, blindstamp seal to the left of the signatures. The second page contains columns for recording future transfers of the policy; the third page contains the terms and conditions of permanent policy; and the final page has a printed area for recording the policy number, date issued, etc., with an illustration of the company's fire mark consisting of a fire-plug [hydrant] with a section of hose attached to it. A rubberstamped receipt of return deposit which has been signed by George W. Quein as executor of Geo. Quein, deceased. Old folds, several splits partly repaired. Else Very Good.
The Fire Association of Philadelphia was founded in September, 1817, by a group of eleven volunteer engine companies and five volunteer hose companies. The Association distributed a percentage of its profits to local volunteer companies. Insurance policy holders were required to affix fire marks outside of their building to inform fire brigades that the building was insured and by which company. The F.A. fire mark was extremely popular, and an estimated 40,000 fire marks were issued during the company's history. The Fire Association operated until 1958, when it merged with the Reliance Insurance Company of Philadelphia.
George Quein [1818-1882] owned a grocery business on the corner of 13th and Vine for many years. George [W.] Tryon [1791-1878], president of the Fire Association of Philadelphia from 1837-1872, had been a maker and seller of firearms, was a trustee of the Philadelphia City Savings Institution, and vice president of the Philadelphia Association for the Relief of Disabled firemen. William J. Butler [1820-1879] became Secretary to the Company in 1846. Item #36814