A SERMON PREACHED AT HIS MAJESTY'S CASTLE WILLIAM, MARCH 26. 1738. UPON THE MUCH LAMENTED DEATH OF HER LATE MOST EXCELLENT MAJESTY CAROLINE, QUEEN-CONSORT OF THE MOST PUISSANT GEORGE THE SECOND, BY THE GRACE OF GOD, OF GREAT BRITAIN, FRANCE AND IRELAND, KING, DEFENDER OF THE FAITH, &C. BY SAMUEL COOLLIDGE, A.M. CHAPLAIN OF THE CASTLE. Samuel Coollidge.

A SERMON PREACHED AT HIS MAJESTY'S CASTLE WILLIAM, MARCH 26. 1738. UPON THE MUCH LAMENTED DEATH OF HER LATE MOST EXCELLENT MAJESTY CAROLINE, QUEEN-CONSORT OF THE MOST PUISSANT GEORGE THE SECOND, BY THE GRACE OF GOD, OF GREAT BRITAIN, FRANCE AND IRELAND, KING, DEFENDER OF THE FAITH, &C. BY SAMUEL COOLLIDGE, A.M. CHAPLAIN OF THE CASTLE.

Boston: N.E. Printed and Sold by S. Kneeland & T. Green, 1738. [4], 26 pp, lacking the final blank. Stitched as issued, scattered foxing, Good+, with death's head ornamentation at the head of the title.

ESTC records this as Coollidge's only printed Sermon. He dedicates it to Massachusetts Lieutenant Governor ["and Commander of the Castle"] Spencer Phips. Coollidge says that "there is something in the conduct of divine Providence, which at the first view appears puzzling even to good Men." But, after "Persons of this Character" contemplate further, "the divine Proceeding is unexceptionably just, righteous, and equal, tho' they don't always see the Grounds and Reasons of it." He counsels "the profoundest Submission under all our Trials and Sorrows."
"Castle William" was originally built on Castle Island in Boston Harbor in 1634; it was rebuilt and given its name in 1692. Abandoned by the British during the Revolutionary War, it was renamed Fort Adams and then [and now] Fort Independence. King George's wife, Caroline of Ansbach, was one of several Germans who became attached to England's Royal Family.
Evans 4235. ESTC W7241. Item #37340

Price: $750.00