Broadsheet, oblong 8" x 10." Seal and blue ribbon intact in the left blank margin. A variety of type fonts and sizes, completed in ink manuscript. Screaming Eagle illustration, holding the "E Pluribus Unum" banner. Signed in ink by H. Dearborn as President and Thaddeus Page as Recording Secretary; their written names are neatly crossed out in three parallel lines. The verso records that, on 4 August 1826, Abrahams transferred this Certificate to A Republican Institution. The verso prints the 16th Article of the By-Laws, permitting transfers of certificates among members. Signed several times by Abrahams. Very Good plus.
Benjamin Abrahams [c.1794-1860], a Boston political figure, was a Ward Inspector for Ward 2, and listed in the 1838 Boston Almanac as one of the "representatives of the town of Boston." He was a director of the Seamen's Bethel Temperance Society in 1833, a director of the Fishing Insurance Company, and a cooper by trade as of the 1835 edition of Stimpson's Boston Directory. By the federal censuses of 1850 and 1860, Benjamin was a fish dealer and food store owner on Sergeant's Wharf.
Henry Dearborn of Boston had been a veteran of the Revolutionary War, a Federalist Congressman, and Secretary of War. He founded the Institution, which was chartered in February 1819. Its purpose was to promote political thought and discussion. Seeking to purchase a building, the Institution's organizers resolved to sell four hundred shares in the Institution for $25 each. A person could purchase up to four shares. Item #38495